The APSA Science and Technologie Challenge – Ethiopia 2018, Technologies and Innovations for Sustainable Development is open for entries. The purpose of the competition is to promote research, innovations in science and technology (S&T), and entrepreneurship for sustainable development in Africa. It is aimed at African young scientists and young entrepreneurs. The competition organized by the Association for the Promotion of Sciences in Africa (APSA).
The candidates will submit a project or a Prototype describing the characteristics of an innovative device they wish to propose as part of the Challenge. By device, it should be understood any technology providing a solution for sustainable development and environmental problems and that can be declined in the form of Clean Energy Production, Up/Down/Re-Cycling, Water Treatment, etc.
- 1st Prize: 2500 euros and a 1-month research stay of a maximal cost of 3000 euros in a High-Tech lab.
- 2nd Prize: 1500 euros and a 1-month research stay of a maximal cost of 3000 euros in a High-Tech lab.
- 3rd Prize: 1000 euros.
- Open to young scientists and entrepreneurs in Africa.
- The APSA Challenge is open to any person, group of people (maximum 5 people) with African citizenship and residing in Africa.
- Applicants residing outside Ethiopia must find their own funding support to participate in steps 3 and 4 of the contest.
- People under or around the age of 18 must refer to the contest rules in the Registration page.
- The competition is open to all levels, beginners to experts developing devices for sustainable development.
Short-listed projects must address the following issues:
- S&T novelty criteria: What innovations have been introduced into the Prototype?
- Environmental and sustainable development criteria: What environmental or sustainable development issues does the Prototype provide an answer to?
- Social and Economic Criteria: To which social problem does the project provide an answer? Who could be interested in the project?
- Research impact criterion: Which area of research could benefit from the S&T developed in the project?
- Pedagogical criterion: Is it possible to produce a simplified version of the device (with inexpensive equipment or material that could be found in local markets) for training sessions in other laboratories or high schools?
During the registration process, you will have to provide a single zip file containing the following pdf documents:
- The description of the prototype as described by the contest rules
- A copy of the ID cards of all candidates
- If candidates are members of an institution, a letter from that institution mentioning their affiliations to that institution and an authorization to the candidate.
Click here to register.
July 31, 2018.